April 18, 2014

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Yes, my kids never cease to amaze me with their memory and sense of humor.  I love how their words are a window into their mind.  My youngest has always been full of questions.  He just turned five and, at his check up, sincerely informed his new doctor that "I'm not sure yet what I want to be (when I grow up).  Maybe a construction worker or astronaut... I might also like to be a paleontologist."  The doctor was impressed with his vocabulary.  Walking through the dinosaur exhibits at the Field Museum, I was impressed with his extensive knowledge of theropods, ceratopsians, and other dinosaurs and animals of the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods.  (Don't you know that pteranodons and other pterosaurs are actually flying reptiles, not dinosaurs?!)

I love how their words are also a window into their heart.  Yes, it's amazing how children can so simply and easily remind me to adjust my perspective too.  Let me share with you a recent story about how my oldest reminded me (without even knowing it) to watch my heart and words.

Asher and I recently embarked on a multiple day "adventure" to organize and clean his room.  This is something that we do on some level every few months.  Sometimes my oldest is thoughtful and particular about how he wants his room, but other times he is very quick to just shove things wherever they will fit (especially under his bed, in his closet, and in any drawer with any room whatsoever).  I have to admit that sometimes it can be a little frustrating to work with Asher on cleaning his room.  1) Asher does like organizing and, when he wants to get something done, he wants to do it the right way... well, a certain way... well, his way.  2) Asher does not like to get rid of anything, and he meticulously reviews every item and thoughtfully considers whether he can part with each item.  Okay, honestly, there are three reasons... 3) My oldest and I (yes, I was also the oldest in our family) are very much alike.

So, on day two, about 2 hours in to our "adventure," I realized that Asher keeps taping drawings on his window.  I was fine with it when he had plastic on his windows this winter, but I was worried now that he'd get the window glass all gummy.  So, I cautioned Asher to be sure to get all the tape off the window when he was done.  My oldest looked at me and explained why he likes to keep his drawings on the window...
"When it's rainy and dark outside, it reminds me that I always have light and happiness in my heart."

Wow!  Okay, that's one of the sweetest things I've ever heard!  And... very convicting.  Maybe mommy needs to stop sweating the small stuff and really focus on what's important each day.  Yes, cleaning his room was a task that needed to be done, but connecting daily with my boys is also necessary.


No comments: