February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day Cards 2014

Last weekend we spent an afternoon making Valentine's gifts.  Here is a picture of the table when we were almost done:

We figure the kids will get lots of candy from other classmates, so we try to make fun cards to go with other gifts.  I found a dozen glittery pencils on clearance for $1.  So, with the printer ink and card-stock paper I already had at home, we spent $2 on Asher's Valentine's for school.  He decided on the following three phrases for his cards:                            You've got the write stuff Valentine.
Write on, Valentine!
Valentine, you are all write by me.

Of course, it looks simple, but there's always some little unforeseen detail. I typed the cards on Word, equally spacing the sentiments so I could just cut strips with my paper cutter.  After printing, we were ready to roll.  Except that I then realized the hole puncher was too small for the diameter of the pencils and the paper was too wide for the length of the pencils (causing the cards to bow out).  No worries though.  We just trimmed a little off the left and right of the cards and then punched three or four holes in a cluster to fit the pencils through.  It went quickly after that.

Last year, Ezra didn't have that many kids in his Preschool, so we were able to get each child a Matchbox car.  One set of cards read: I "wheelie" like you.  Happy Valentine's day!  The other set of cards read: I like how you roll.  Happy Valentine's Day!  See my post "Pinspiration: Valentine's Sentiments" for links to these cards and more.
This year, Ezra decided to share one of his favorite snacks: Goldfish crackers.  His cards look like a fish bowl and say: So glad we're in the same school!  There are directions and a free printable at i heart nap time, which make these gifts really simple.  Short story... I printed a coupon for Michael's and purchased the round bags.  Then I printed a Target coupon for Goldfish that were also on sale at the time.  After that it was just click, print, cut, and have Ezra sign his name.  Then he helped me scoop Goldfish and fill each bag.

Using the same themes, I made a few of my own cards on PhotoShop for our boys, my niece, and my nephew.  The boys sent pencils and Goldfish to my niece and nephew.  We are giving Asher a gigantic pad of lined paper (like poster size) and pencils.  Ezra will get a small notebook, pencils, and some dinosaur erasers.  Their cards say: You're just write for me Valentine!
Ezra's teachers get the cards (above) saying: You are o'fish'ally the best teacher!  Asher's teacher and student teacher each get a red ruler with a card (below) saying: You rule! Happy Valentine's Day.

Asher's teacher needed some classroom supplies, so we decided to do daily gifts for her this week.  I made chalkboard sentiments to put on foam hearts I already had and packaged with string and bags that we also already had.  Monday: You are TOPS with me. (pencil top erasers).  Tuesday: We are STUCK on you! (glue).  Wednesday: You have a HEART of gold! (Dove dark chocolate hearts... because who couldn't use some chocolate now and then?) Thursday: teacher poem (below).  Friday: You Rule! (ruler)
When I was printing the chalkboard sentiments, I put the teacher poem at the bottom of the page.  The final dimensions were 5 1/2" H x 8 1/2" W.  I purchased two wood rulers and used ribbon, glue, and cardboard that I had on hand.  The rulers are cut at the 7 7/8" mark and glued together to make a frame.  It works out well that the ruler on the top already has holes in just the right place for a ribbon to hang the picture.  Ezra's teachers will get a special gift from us on Friday: this quote on a card with a bag of chocolate hearts.

Also, I'm giving Al daily gifts.  I decided to print cards to go with snacks for him to have at work.  Monday is a tag saying: You have my heart.  I enclosed a heart sugar cookie and some Dove dark chocolate hearts.  Yes, I love these hearts.  And, I can eat some too, because I've been looking for deals.  You can't beat buying these hearts at Target on sale for $3.00 each.  Plus, I had a $1.50 Target coupon (off the purchase of two bags) combined with a 15% off Cartwheel coupon and the 5% I get off when using my Target card.  In the end, I got two bags for less than the retail price of one.  That's a delicious deal!

Tuesday and Thursday are fruit because "I'm bananas for you" and "You're the apple of my eye."  Wednesday is a donut from his favorite coffee shop with the fun quote: Donut you know how much I love you?  Friday is Godiva hot chocolate with the note: You warm my heart.  Also, I made him a gift...

This is a combination of a number of ideas I've seen on Pinterest.  It's scrabble letters spelling "LOVE" over our wedding vows.  This is a special little gift, mostly because we celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary at the end of 2013.






No comments: